What do you do with phyllo dough when you’re craving baklawa but you’re allergic to tree nuts? Use peanuts! This is probably my favorite made-up dessert. I had a guest coming and totally pulled it out of my right brain at the last minute. She loved it and so did I. It’s hard to go wrong with chocolate and peanuts. And it’s really not a difficult dessert. I hope you try it!
1/2 package phyllo dough (abt 25 sheets)
5 tbsps sugar
1.5 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped peanuts, plus 1 tbsp ground peanuts for sprinkling
1 cup melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Use a pastry brush to coat the bottom of a rectangular baking dish with butter.
3. Gently place one sheet of phyllo dough inside. Coat with butter. Repeat. After five sheets are coated, sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar over that layer. Put down five more sheets.
4. Sprinkle with sugar, add one cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup peanuts.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4, adding the remaining chocolate chips and peanuts.
6. Place on remaining phyllo layers.
7. Sprinkle sugar and ground peanuts on top of final sheet.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and flaky.
For an added touch, drizzle with melted chocolate just before serving. Serve warm.